Missouri Experimental Sonic Arts Festival
The Missouri Experimental Sonic Arts Festival (MOXsonic) is three days (March 16-18, 2023) of concerts, research presentations, workshops, installations, and conversations. Our goal is that academic and independent artists, individuals and groups, music and sonic adventurers, and more will gather for an exploration of sonic possibilities and community.
We welcome a wide variety of applications and believe that a diversity of voices, perspectives, gender, genre, age, and identity will make for a positive and strong event. Make no presumptions as to what projects we will select: surprise us with your submission. If you are unsure of how to categorize what you want to do, please reach out via the contact form on our website.
MOXsonic's concert events feature experimental music involving live performance with interactive technologies. Improvisers, composer/performers, and teams of composers and performers are especially welcome: as are performers who would like to present new or recent works.
MOXsonic also showcases a variety of musics, installations, and research presentations. Including, along with other concert events:
- Thursday Nightlife: live coding concert: 20-30 minute sets, the first half of the evening: experimental and ambient; the second half of the evening: freeform!
- Friday and Saturday Nightlife: where musicians can stretch out and explore longer forms while other participants socialize
- Research presentations, demonstrations, and workshops
- Fixed media performance: In our amazing electronic composition studio
- Five-minute Lightning Video Research Presentations: Following the “Enlighten us, but make it quick!” format. This is intended to be an opportunity to present your scholarly, technological, or creative research to many people throughout the weekend. There will be a formal viewing of all videos followed by a live question and answer period. Videos will be accessible in a viewing room for the remainder of the event. All that you need to submit at this time is an abstract: videos will need to be completed and submitted by February 15, 2023 in advance of the festival.
- New venues for installations, including the James C. Kirkpatrick Library lobby, our newly renovated recording studios, and more!Individual and group submissions are expected to be mostly self-contained: we supply the space(s), sound systems, technical crew, the organization, the community, and PR. Participants supply all else: i.e., people who do it all themselves or people who propose teams and collaborative efforts.
For the current MOXsonic adventure, we are unfortunately NOT able to provide travel funding or honoraria, but we guarantee that a good time will be had by all. We are more than happy to help with language and/or letters of commitment for grant applications to support your participation to funding institutions. A list of what we are able to supply—along with details of our performance and installation spaces—is available at http://moxsonic.org/tech-and-space/
There are no application fees, no registration fees, and no ticket fees for any event.
You are welcome to submit proposals in multiple categories, but ***please*** only one submission per category.
Each submission *must* be on a separate form.
If accepted, attendance is required.