This is the homepage for MOXsonic, the Missouri Experimental Sonic Arts Festival, operated by the University of Central Missouri Center for Music Technology. The festival takes place at the University of Central Missouri in Warrensburg, Missouri, approximately one hour south-east of Kansas City, Missouri.
Dates for the next MOXsonic:
March 14-16, 2024
Concerts, Nightlife, Installations, Papers, Demos, Workshops, and more!
While you are here, explore our Archives for past festival information.
Join our email list to receive timely communications regarding submissions and festival dates.
Please SUBSCRIBE to receive our very occasional emails
The Missouri Experimental Sonic Arts Festival (MOXsonic) is three days of concerts, research presentations, workshops, installations, and conversations. Our goal is that academic and independent artists, individuals and groups, music and sonic adventurers, and more will gather for an exploration of sonic possibilities and community.
We welcome a wide variety of applications and believe that a diversity of voices, perspectives, gender, genre, age, and identity will make for a positive and strong event. Make no presumptions as to what projects we will select: surprise us with your submission. If you are unsure of how to categorize what you want to do, please reach out via the contact form on our website.
MOXsonic's concert events feature experimental music involving live performance with interactive technologies. Improvisers, composer/performers, and teams of composers and performers are especially welcome: as are performers who would like to present new or recent works.
MOXsonic also showcases a variety of musics, installations, and research presentations. Including, along with other concert events:
- Nightlife, Thursday, Friday, and Saturday: where musicians can stretch out and explore longer forms while other participants socialize. Improvised music, live coding, experimental to ambient, beat-oriented to free-form!
- Six concert hall events featuring live performances
- Fixed media performances: Set up as an interactive listening room in our amazing electronic composition studio.
- Research presentations, demonstrations, and workshops
- Five-minute Lightning Video Research Presentations: Following the “Enlighten us, but make it quick!” format. This is intended to be an opportunity to present your scholarly, technological, or creative research to many people in a quick, concise, low stress format. From news reporter style, to recorded slides with talking, to creative formats. After each video there will be a ten minute question and answer period. All that you need to submit at this time is an abstract. Videos due at the conference. This has been hugely informative and successful and we encourage all to participate.
- Installations in our studios and more.
- Dedicated social time in morning and evening
- Emerging artist competition, for K-12, new in 2024
For the current MOXsonic adventure, we are unfortunately NOT able to provide travel funding or honoraria, but we guarantee that a good time will be had by all. We are more than happy to help with language and/or letters of commitment for grant applications to support your participation to funding institutions. A list of what we are able to supply—along with details of our performance and installation spaces—is available at http://moxsonic.org/tech-and-space/
There are no application fees, no registration fees, and no ticket fees for any event.
You are welcome to submit proposals in multiple categories, but ***please*** only one submission per category.
Each submission *must* be on a separate form.
If accepted, attendance is required.